Part 3: Bruce Wellman: What is the Learning Underneath it All?
"Start by looking at causation before swapping strategies." When teachers see a gap they often start swapping strategies for how they approach the topic instead of digging deeper to try to understand what is at the root of the misunderstanding. Bruce covers six possible causes when students' aren't getting it:
- Curriculum- design and implementation
- Instruction - methods and materials
- Teacher knowledge, skill, and disposition
- Assessments - frequency and match
- Student prior knowledge, skills, and disposition
- Infrastructure- schedule, resources